Saturday, March 28, 2009

Allegheny Aqueduct (Built to Last)

The Allegheny Aqueduct is a water bridge that was built in 1824 and operated until 1931. Part of the Schuylkill Canal system started at Mill Creek, Schuylkill County, and traveled to Philadelphia.

The 108 mile Schuylkill Canal's main activity was to transport antracite coal from the mines of Schuylkill County to the port of Philadelphia, making numerous deliveries over the five county journey.

The Beidler house is part of the little park and offers tours with a special "Colonial Candlelight Holiday Reception", scheduled for 12:00-5:00PM, Dec 12, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment