Tuesday, September 30, 2008

French Creek - Hopewell Lake


Max and I arrived at 6:15 and the sun was already past "magic hour" and on its way down. It seems too early for darkness. I parked at the boat launch and headed in a clockwise direction so we would get to the other side in time to see the final sunset.

It was pretty dark already so photography was at mostly 200 ISO and leaning on a tree or stump for stability. Even image stabilization can only help you to about 1/30th of a second and the camera was showing a lot of 1/8th and 1/15th.

The outing was still great in spite of the photographic challenges. On the pool side towards the dam, the beavers were in the water. The last time I was at Hopewell Lake I noticed fresh beaver gnawing so I suspected they were on the move and starting a new lodge. Every visit I look for the giant rodents but have only seen them close up on two occasions. The photos were too dark, but I did shoot some decent video.

Max is oblivious to the beavers in the water, nor would he ever go after them since he really dislikes the water, but he definitely tracks their scent on land.

It was really getting dark by this time so we traveled the trails in near darkness. The sounds transitioned to sounds of night with a screech owl and crickets.

6:15-7:10 mild & 60.

No comments:

Post a Comment