Saturday, May 16, 2009

Jenkins Arboretum (Prime Azalea Colors!)



On my calendar for May was to visit a garden to photograph Azalea's and Rhododendron's (from the same plant species I believe).

The weather forecast was too unpredictable to visit Longwood Gardens for the long drive and $16 admission fee might be for nothing if the skies open up. My back-up plan, but not to be diminished, was Jenkins Arboretum in Devon, PA. It was misting on approach to Jenkins, but I was determined to try it anyway.

They recently unveiled their new "green" visitor center which is both architecturally appealing as well as environmentally friendly. With geothermal heating/cooling, recycled/renewable furniture and carpeting, no-flush urinals, and hand dryers, the building lives up to earth-friendly claims. The exterior deck is recycled materials too.

I was impressed as I stepped out the car and continued to be thrilled and inspired the whole time of my visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment